Monday, November 21, 2005

Hudson-Fulton-Champlain Quadricentennial - UNYG Newsletter Subscription (free) - Upload and Backup Your Data

Did you ever notice how celebrating important anniversaries in American History create resources that we never had before? For instance the Centennial Celebration of American Independence in Philadelphia created a massive interest in history and spawned many County, Town and Local Histories that came out around that time and into the 1880’s.

The Bi-Centennial in 1976 saw a proliferation of history books and pamphlets from a great many Bi-Centennial Committees around the country. Many of these were a continuation or update of the county histories before them, and each time more and more items of interest appear.

The future year of 2009 will be the: The Hudson-Fulton-Champlain Quadricentennial, the 400 year anniversary of Hudson coming up the river from the harbor that was to become New Netherlands and discovering what was to become Albany. The preparations are starting to be put in order and we can only hope that there will be many new publications that will bring us new reports on historical events.

Read about the forthcoming preparations in the Albany Times Union.

The First edition of the Upstate New York Genealogy (UNYG) Newsletter will be released soon. If you have not yet subscribed to this electronic edition you should go to the website at http://www.ny-genes.com and use the very simple sign up box. All you need to do is type in your name and email address, simple as that. The one other thing that you absolutely MUST do is click on the “CONFIRM” link in the email welcome message. I guarantee you that nothing bad will happen to your computer by doing so. The reason that we insist on a confirmation is that our automated mailing system will only send the issue to those that have answered the confirmation. This is to make sure that the people that used the sign up box did in fact enter a valid email address and do want to receive the Newsletter. We hold your email addresses and names in strictest confidence. See our “Privacy Policy” on the website.

The following email was a message posted to the Greene County mailing list on rootsweb.

(Used with permission.)


First there was a comment by the webmaster of this particular Greene County website at http://www.rootsweb.com/~nygreen2 regarding receiving of some CLOUGH/CLOW will copies, then what follows is James Brady’s poignant answer and I felt that you readers might be inspired with it like I was.


“That was me with the wills. Sylvia and I have been trading e-mails for years
now and I've contributed material to her website before. It's always been my
intention to contribute as much as possible. I'm sure it's the same for many
of you as well, but, well, you know, time and inertia have conspired against
me, even though I've had these will transcriptions for some time. To make
them useful for Sylvia's website I had to go back and add titles, copied
from info and probate dates to the raw transcription text. And, well, I had
other things to do.

It's not that I didn't want to share, but I was thinking of my wants first.

I mean with the time I have - I always want to move my research forward.

I guess after Katrina hit
New Orleans I've become more focused on how to
preserve what I have already done. I'd like to encourage you all to do the
same. I mean I back-up my PC files regularly and think of myself as smart
for doing so, but in some cases smart isn't sufficient.

So, I'm thinking of how I can better protect myself from complete loss in a
catastrophe and I'm in an e-mail exchange with Sylvia about something else
entirely when a light bulb goes off in my head. I download tons of stuff
from her website - why not upload.

Sylvia's got a free, geographically remote (for me, and, I assume, for you),
back-up site just waiting there. Like me, I'm sure you intended to
contribute sometime because you have a big heart. Here's why it's worth your
time to do it now. Cause you might lose it permanently if you don't.

Jim Brady”

Food for thought for all of us.

Jim may be reached at brady.j (at) att (dot) net. Just insert the proper characters.

No comments: